Sunday, October 25, 2015

Hardy's Country

The boys have been racing at Weymouth this weekend, so it's been an action packed weekend again. Yesterday it was very windy, certainly pushing their upper limit, although them did almost have smiles when they came in.

I have been out on my bike, as this shot is designed to remind me. The legacy of the Olympic Games as Weymouth was host town for the sailing events, was a much improved road and cycle trail system. I had noticed various tracks suggesting there was a network, but not until this recent had I tried it out. This weekend I pushed the envelope to every corner and would like to give the planners a big pat on the back for building such a great resource for Weymouth. I have spoken to lots of locals and other bike riders on my travels, and everyone sings its praises. The trails are often completely separate from the roads, and well sign posted, although like all things added after the evnt need a bit of working out.

This was on my trail out of Weymouth past Upwey towards Dorchester which you can see in the background here. Dorchester is a great place with so much character. Some great food and drink places, for those with money in their pockets and time to burn! I had a tasty spot of lunch at Finca an independent coffee shop, before headed over to Poundbury to explore some photographic potential.

My trail took me past Hardy's Tower with its splendid views over towards the boys sailing on the sea, and back inland towards Dorset. A blast back along the ridge towards Upwey and back down to Portland just as the boys came off the water. Perfect, five hours in the saddle - sun sea sand...

After 4 Grand Prix Events the boys are sitting at 41st out of 89 boats, which is a good improvement on last year, with plenty of scope to improve in the year ahead.

No comments: