Saturday, January 15, 2011

Boom Boom Cluster

One of Miranda's photos from yesterday; to be fair it was dark in my work room and the lens is a manual focus jobbie, but it's probably better than a camera phone picture.

Anyone who knows me will be aware of my appreciation of Southampton Art Gallery - it's a fantastic gallery with a superb collection. I went this afternoon with Greg, and although I'd noted on many occasions a caption refering to the David and Liza Brown Bequest, was fascinated to discover the reason it has so many excellent modern art pieces. David Brown was a local guy who trained as a vet, but got passionate about art as a collector and after training as a curator, supported Southampton Art Gallery in many ways. Later he left in his will about 400 pieces to the gallery, including many of the Roger Hilton's that I personally love. He was also responsible for all the Hamish Fulton and Richard Long pieces that I also adore, and marked Southampton out as a place to visit.

And now I live here.

No comments: