Monday, July 28, 2014

Blaenavon World Heritage Site

It's been on my list of recommendations to follow up for some time. My Mum and Juliet took my Grandfather to Blaenavon many years ago to see the working coal mine. It's not a particularly big mine although it's known as Big Pit, but the experience of going underground accompanied by real former miners is unmistakably realistic. The narrative is passionate and plausable, the sense of danger and toughness of life palpable.

We were able to combine this with a visit to the Ironworks too, where there was a series of authentic workers cottages - what a superb way to be able to explain my family histoies to the kids

 Big Pit



 Awesome staging within the Blaenwavon Ironworks








This picture on the wall of the ironworker's cottages remeinded me of a particular image on my grandfather's wall in Underwood Road. Grampy's painting was of Chateaux Chillon but we cannot miss the exoticism of travel to the early twentieth century coal miner...

No comments: