Monday, September 19, 2011

Related

It's like opening a window on a whole new world, a secret garden. And yet it would have been so easy to have known nothing about it.

Yesterday I spent the day with my Mum and Dad, who were holidaying with my Mum's brother and wife. Jeremy has researched the family tree for years, and although he's told me stories about things he's discovered over the years; somehow the connects have always evaded me.

What I learned yesterday though was the name of my tenth great grandfather on my mother's side - a man called Thomas Larkham, who was born in Lyme Regis in 1602.

He was an English Puritan clergyman, who courted his fair share of controversy. There's a piece on Wikipedia about him, and an interesting description elsewhere as "a colourful character with a barbed tongue. He was neither presbyterian nor puritan, but a boisterous independent."

A portrait of whom hangs in the National Portrait Gallery in London.

Ten generations spanning 400 years, so I guess I am not that unusual, age wise.

No comments: